Collecting Past Due Support

Contempt / Enforcement Of Child Support, Alimony, Attorney’s Fees And Equitable Distribution

After the dissolution of marriage process, the party awarded financial relief relies on all the financial awards granted by the Court. Unfortunately, those ordered to pay do not always comply and it is necessary to take action to enforce the Court’s order in collecting past-due support.

Motion for Enforcement and Contempt

When a party does not pay what they are required to under the Final Judgment motion for enforcement or contempt is often filed to request that the Court enforce its order.

If the financial obligation is support related such as child support, alimony or attorney’s fees the defaulting party may be subject to incarceration if you can show the Court the other party is able to pay but is refusing to do so.

Enforcement Methods

In order to effectuate the enforcement, the Court can enter an order requiring a lump sum payment or wage garnishment. Oftentimes when the failure to pay is intentional the Court will order the defaulting party to pay your attorney’s fees and costs. This includes collecting past due support.

Whether you are the party seeking enforcement or the one that has not paid, we can assist you to make sure the Court has the necessary information to order the appropriate relief.

Please call us if you have any questions about collecting past-due support. Call us at 407-403-5990 or contact us (below) to schedule your appointment.